Jewish Preppers?

Some people finding our website may be wondering what is a Prepper and why does it have a religious affiliation? Well the short answer is...A Prepper is the modern day survivalist. It's not (necessarily) a right-wing militiaman preparing for Armageddon in the boondocks of Montana. But better represented by a normal, educated, middle class individual perhaps living in the most urban of cities, preparing themselves physically and mentally for any upcoming disaster, natural or man-made. This could include anything from earthquakes to volcanic eruptions, social unrest to an act of terrorism. Preparations include: food supply, medical supply, weapons supply etc. and the knowledge and skills to use them. Of course, a Jewish Prepper is just a designation for a small niche of the Prepper Community that is of the Jewish Faith. We are non-profit and nonpartisan. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Purim thoughts

Jews in the Persian Empire faced genocide instigated by the chief minister to Emperor Xerxes (born about 519 B.C.E. and died in 465 B.C.E.). On finding out they were to be murdered, the Jews at once prayed intensively for Divine help. Their prayers were heard: Xerxes learned his chief minister had betrayed him, and so decreed that Jews should defend themselves if they were attacked. The Jews killed some 30,000 of their attackers, and so saved themselves (see the Book of Esther). Each year, Jews celebrate on Purim - a holiday that usually occurs in March - to commemorate this deliverance.

The above synopsis is from http://www.gunownersalliance.com/Rabbi_0029.htm. Take a moment to think about Purim, about the ability to defend yourself as an unalienable right in the Bill of Rights. The Jews needed the permission of the government to defend themselves. We do not need that permission in the USA. The Torah and Talmud give examples of defending yourself as a mitzvah.

People have died throughout the ages to gain this right, and most Jews – at least the ones I know in NY—ignore this right or are fearful of it rather than exercise their right to bear arms.

When do things begin to go horribly wrong for minority Jews in a country? Besides the ‘whenever’ answer, economic turmoil is a good bet.

When I learned about the Holocaust at Hebrew School, I kept wondering how the Jews couldn’t see what was coming. I guess they didn’t have 20-20 hindsight. I do not know what is in store for Jews, let alone the USA over the next 10 or 20 years. I have put myself in debt to get educated in the hopes that the times I live in will be peaceful and I can make a living as a physician, but I am also becoming increasingly prepared for tougher times.

In a practical way, many of my preparations where used, or ready to be used during the latest blizzard. I checked on my emergency candles, verified the location of the stash of batteries, flashlights, radio and sleeping bags in case the power went out. A few days earlier I bought an extra bag of dog food for my guys, and bought some extra groceries in case the roads were bad for a week or so. I had even stopped at the library and got extra books to read.

As the snow was blowing sideways outside, I put on my gators, gortex pants and coat to walk my dogs (who love the snow and the extra blocks we trekked to avoid downed power lines in my suburb). In short, it was a mini dry run for a short ‘contingency’. If the power did go out or if the roads were impassable, I would have zero panic as I was prepared.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it was 70,000

David L said...

I'm glad I cited the GOA site.

The point I was making was that those Jews needed permission to defend themselves and to spur others to use the right of self-defense gained by others' blood and efforts be able to defend themselves. As seen in numerous widespread local calamities, the Police are overwhelmed to answer all 911 pleas and sometimes undermanned due to desertion. Sometimes saying "Stop or I'll call the police" just doesn't cut it. We are lucky in this country to be able to legally defend ourselves: hope for the best but be prepared for the worse.